discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

no brainer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jul, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: no brainer Reply with quote

On the front page of the Toronto Star today, I couldn't help noticing this headline:

They've got Spider-Man. We've got ... Fathers of Confederation!

In the Toronto Star, Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew wrote:
They're giants who saved Canada, so why aren't their action figures taking the country by storm?

Andrew and Sonia Nafekh have made it a crusade to educate Canadians with the action figures of Sir John A. Macdonald, Sir Isaac Brock and Sir Wilfrid Laurier they design and sell. But their company [...] has yet to turn a profit on the venture, after years of trying.

-Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew, "Canadian action figures a tough sell", Toronto Star, 1 July 2009

After YEARS of trying?! I know it's wrong to laugh at the misfortunes of others but, well, please excuse me for choking as I am laughing so hard.

Do you think the Sir John A. Macdonald has arms bendable at the elbows?

Maybe they could start making a profit if they started selling Louis Riel and Emily Murphy action figures. And how about a Laura Secord action figure? She could come with sturdy walking shoes and a box of chocolates.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jul, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would play them in the movie?
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no brainer Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Maybe they could start making a profit if they started selling Louis Riel and Emily Murphy action figures.

Let's brainstorm some possible actresses for the famous five: See http://library2.usask.ca/herstory/person.html

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about:
Nellie McClung - Judi Dench
Henrietta Muir Edwards - Kathy Bates
Irene Parlby - Susan Sarrandon
Louise McKinney - Dianne Keaton
Emily Murphy - Helen Mirren
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to see the correspondence and official documents about the famous fives' "Persons" Case here:
http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/206/301/lac-bac/famous_five-ef/www.lac-bac.gc.ca/famous5/index-e.html

David wrote:
How about:
Nellie McClung - Judi Dench
Henrietta Muir Edwards - Kathy Bates
Irene Parlby - Susan Sarrandon
Louise McKinney - Dianne Keaton
Emily Murphy - Helen Mirren

I think there should be at least one token Canadian. Kate Nelligan has already played Emily Murphy in the CBC (I think it was CBC) Heritage Minute program so she should get to reprise her role.

But let's keep Helen Mirren. She can play Mary Ellen Smith who said, "The iron dropped into the souls of women in Canada when we heard that it took a man to decree that his mother was not a person."

HerStory, An Exhibition wrote:
On October 18, 1929, the Privy Council declared that women are indeed persons. Today, we celebrate "Person's Day" and since 1979, several women each year are awarded person's day medals.

-excerpt from HerStory, An Exhibition - Law: The "Persons" Case

Ha! I did not know that there was such a day as "Person's Day"! Apparently National Person's Day has been celebrated since 1929!! Remind me to pay attention on 18 October....

I must say that it seems just a little bit disturbing that only women are awarded "person's day medals" though. Shouldn't these medals be offered to all eligible persons?

bcfed.org/issues/women/herstory wrote:
"I want for myself what I want for other women, absolute equality. After that is secured, men and women can take turns at being angels." - Agnes Macphail, first woman member of Canada's House of Commons

-excerpt from HerStory | British Columbia Federation of Labour

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Ha! I did not know that there was such a day as "Person's Day"! Apparently National Person's Day has been celebrated since 1929!! Remind me to pay attention on 18 October....

Interestingly, I just saw a new news service of IPS devoted to stories about women. Genderwire: http://ipsnews.net/genderwire/. "IPS wants to redress a huge imbalance that exists today: only 22% of the voices you hear and read in the news today are women's. Elections, health, education, armed conflicts, corruption, laws, trade, climate change, the global financial and food crises, and natural disasters. IPS covers these frontline issues asking an often forgotten question: what does it mean for women and girls?"

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Interestingly, I just saw a new news service of IPS devoted to stories about women. Genderwire: http://ipsnews.net/genderwire/. " IPS wants to redress a huge imbalance that exists today: only 22% of the voices you hear and read in the news today are women's.

I'm glad they are trying to deal with an imbalance. But it still feels a bit like segregation to deal with the segregation. Who is likely to read this news service? My guess is: women. Which means that the imbalance is unlikely to be redressed. My logic might be off but doesn't this mean that 88% will not be reading or even know about Women in the News | The Gender Wire?

Even more disturbing is that today's news coverage (at least 10 TV channels!!) seems to be devoted solely to the memorial service of a pop singing idol. Surely there are far more important things going on in the world!

edit: It also seems to me that National Person's Day should really be called "National Women's Day".

This is not to be construed as a criticism of the major feat of the Famous Five and their colleagues who worked diligently to ensure that women would be heard equally by getting to vote, work, be paid equally, etc. etc.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
edit: It also seems to me that National Person's Day should really be called "National Women's Day".

This is not to be construed as a criticism of the major feat of the Famous Five and their colleagues who worked diligently to ensure that women would be heard equally by getting to vote, work, be paid equally, etc. etc.

Many countries have a national holiday on International Women's Day which has been celebrated on March 8 since 1913. It is one of the official UN days: http://www.internationalwomensday.com/. I prefer to retain the commemoration of the Canadian persons case, as it the case has an important legal meaning and a separation from international women's day that would be lost if person's day were changed to "women's day." I'd go for a national holiday on IWD, though! BTW, I like the nominations of women to play the parts of the famous five! Alas, Agnes McPhail's hope of equality has not yet been achieved. Nope, not even in Canada http://www.womensequality.ca/.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK we don't have a national holiday to celebrate women, men or persons. In England we don't even have a day to celebrate England (St. George's Day) unlike Scotland (St. Andrew's Day holiday) and Northern Ireland (St. Patrick's Day holiday).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: