discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

My Spam guard is working overtime on email

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

Because I'm worried that K9, my email spam guard, might throw things out that shouldn't be thrown out, I check some of the emails that might be legitimate.

And I just found the following important message from Mrs. Ella Robin that K9 has given a spam score of 88%! stomp Yikes. Good thing I checked!

in email, Mrs. Ella Robin wrote:
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 3:21:33 -0400
Subject: Your Parcel Awaiting Dispatch.... [Spam][88.0%]
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Your Bank Draft of $800.000.00 USD,Has been deposited with FedEx Express,which await outstanding payment of security keeping of $60 USD.

Contact FedEx Courier Service Agent,
Mr.celin Smith
Email: f e d e x s w i f t d e l i v e r y s e r v i c e (at) s t r o m p o s t . c o m

Excuse me now while I race down to the bank to purchase a US money order for $60. whoo hoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Because I'm worried that K9, my email spam guard, might throw things out that shouldn't be thrown out, I check some of the emails that might be legitimate.

And I just found the following important message from Mrs. Ella Robin that K9 has given a spam score of 88%! stomp Yikes. Good thing I checked!

in email, Mrs. Ella Robin wrote:
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 3:21:33 -0400
Subject: Your Parcel Awaiting Dispatch.... [Spam][88.0%]
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Your Bank Draft of $800.000.00 USD,Has been deposited with FedEx Express,which await outstanding payment of security keeping of $60 USD.

Mr.celin Smith
Email: f e d e x s w i f t d e l i v e r y s e r v i c e (at) s t r o m p o s t . c o m

Excuse me now while I race down to the bank to purchase a US money order for $60. whoo hoo!

Wow, will you share your $800,000? (I do find that my spam filters are overzealous, though, and I do have to check the spam for stuff that's legit).

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
letter from Mr.celin Smith wrote:

Mr.celin Smith

I have often wondered if there is some sort of Spammer's Code Of Honour that says they have to put at least one capitalized word in lower case. (That is, if they're not following the alternate Spammer's Code that says the entire message MUST BE IN UPPER CASE.)

I wonder what would cause K9 oh boy! to add the extra 12% to give it a perfect score.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:

I have often wondered if there is some sort of Spammer's Code Of Honour that says they have to put at least one capitalized word in lower case.

There is probably a special spammers' spell-check program (NOT AVEILABLE IN STOReS - sold exclusively via email spam) that fixes the message. Perhaps there is a little legal loophole available to the spammers if their messages contain errors.

But it will be a sad day, indeed, when spammers send messages that have zero spelling errors and are grammatically correct.

Barbara wrote:

I wonder what would cause K9 oh boy! to add the extra 12% to give it a perfect score.

I'm thinking that the fact that the spammer sent to "undisclosed-recipients" might have kept the score down a little.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

I have often suspected that the people sending the spam out don't make a dime (and perhaps lose money). The people selling smam lists or services make the money. similar to a pyramid scheme where the money is not make selling the products but on selling sales schemes.

And no one is likely to expose this type of scam.

I don't like having to look through all the spam for the one that got away among all the messages from desperately ill and dying sisters, wives, etc. of deposed or dead (but rich!) Ministers of Tiddly-Winks in little known jurisdictions who want to donate all their money to me before they die if I will only send a little pittance to get the money out of hock!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

I don't look through all the spam. I only look through the ones that have not unlikely sounding titles.

Sometimes I'm a bit concerned that I may have thrown out legitimate emails with the colossally stupid subject heading "Hi" but then I figure if it's really important, the people will resend.

I've completely given up reporting spam. I figure that simply deleting it is as much attention as it should receive.

What I would like to eliminate though is HTML in email. I loathe HTML email. If people want to send preformatted mail, they should use paper and snailmail.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Spam guard is working overtime on email Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
I loathe HTML email. If people want to send preformatted mail, they should use paper and snailmail.

I like html mail.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: HTML email Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I like html mail.

And spammers really like HTML mail. They can place links to their spam-sites that appear to be links to legitimate sites.

HTML mail is entirely unnecessary in most cases. For instance, here is an example of email I received. Note that there are two sentences in the message. Look how much extra junk is added to format it. There is absolutely no reason that I need to be seeing this information in Tahoma 10pt font.

In fact, I bet that A didn't even know this was being sent in HTML, which is remarkably the default for every email program now.

example of HTML email, A wrote:

Subject: music
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:16:45 -0400

Your music is being mailed out at noon today. Included is a list of people driving from Toronto so you can arrange rides. Thanks. A<html>
<head>
<style>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</style>
</head>
<body class='hmmessage'>
Your music is being mailed out at noon today. Included is a list of people driving from Toronto so you can arrange rides. Thanks. A</body>
</html>

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HTML email Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
CAM wrote:
I like html mail.

And spammers really like HTML mail.

My server puts most of this stuff into spam.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: HTML email Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
My server puts most of this stuff into spam.

So does mine. But I needed to see that email from A. Just as I needed to see the following email that was deemed spam. Good thing I check. I doubt that Vicky knows she is sending email in HTML....

Note the "[Spam][73.2%]" added by my server to help me know just how spammy Vicky's message is.

in email, Vicky wrote:

Subject: July 3 Music [Spam][73.2%]
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:49:18 -0400

Hi Elizabeth,

I can mail you the music for July 3 if you like. I just need you to give me your mailing address and I'll send it right out.

Vicky<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16850" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Elizabeth,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I can mail you the music for July 3 if you
like.&nbsp; I just need you to give me your mailing address and I'll send it
right&nbsp;&nbsp;out. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Vicky</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: HTML email Reply with quote

Some plain text spam gets through my filters, like this one:

in email, Logan wrote:
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:24:22 +0300
Subject: dog

grandson osullivan
myron passenger

I think this kind of email is to test for a valid email address (i.e. it was not bounced back to the sender) for the purpose of validating a spam recipient list. I have manually blacklisted the sender.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: HTML email Reply with quote

David wrote:
Some plain text spam gets through my filters, like this one:

in email, Logan wrote:
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:24:22 +0300

grandson osullivan
myron passenger

I think this kind of email is to test for a valid email address (i.e. it was not bounced back to the sender) for the purpose of validating a spam recipient list. I have manually blacklisted the sender.

I'm not so sure. Are you sure you don't know this Logan Monroe, David? I think it might be a cryptic message about his dog. Clearly, the dog can read but is perhaps not quite advanced enough to solve the coding of the message.

I'm not sure I'm quite advanced enough either... the solved message is rather alarming but still isn't quite making sense to me:

snarls; planning murder soon. gave soy

David, if you still have LM's email address, maybe you could ask for clarification. Is it LM who is planning the criminal activity or is it the dog?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: