discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

garden waste pickup

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: garden waste pickup Reply with quote

We just came in from raking leaves. What a beautiful day it is. And of course, even though the garden is now pristine, it will be covered in leaves at the next breath of wind. But at least we got a start.

Too bad we have to store the leaves by the side of the house until next week's collection. stomp

Yes. In their infinite wisdom, the city has reduced the number of garden waste pickups. Instead of having a weekly pickup in the autumn, it is still held at every two weeks. Even in our tiny postage stamp garden, we always have leaves galore. I can't even imagine what it must be like for the giant gardens on the other side of the tracks.

Just great. We missed last week's pickup.

And of course, we missed SEVERAL pickups in the spring when the outdoor workers were on strike. Once the strike was resolved, garden waste pickup didn't kick in immediately because of the massive amount of cleanup required.

We FINALLY set our spring garden waste (that wouldn't fit into our own composter) out on the curbside in August. The brilliant (cough) collectors TOOK AWAY our container as well as the garden waste.

Rrrrrrrrr....

I simply refuse to buy a new garden waste container. But I thought I should double-check to see if they've changed the rules about what containers are allowed. Here's what I found:

City of Toronto: Garbage and Recycling FAQ wrote:
What kind of containers can I use for my leaf and yard waste material?

You can use either rigid, open-topped containers (a reusable container, without a lid, such as an extra garbage can, bushel baskets, or a yard waste container (green box) (PDF) available from the City for $6 or kraft paper bags to put your yard waste out for curbside collection.

City of Toronto: Garbage and Recycling FAQ

We had a smallish rigid container that was holding bird seed in the basement. Just in case there might have been confusion about whether we thought the other container was garbage and should have been taken away, I put our address in felt pen all over the "new" container, as well as

GARDEN WASTE
REUSABLE CONTAINER

Do you think that's too subtle? (I wonder if the garden waste collectors can read....) la la la

==============
Now where are we going to store the birdseed???

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am frustrated by local council garden waste collection policies. The only containers our town council allow are the clear plastic sacks with the council logo provided by them. We have collections every two weeks through the spring and summer but no collections for the other half of the year. Our final collection was at the end of October, just as leaves begin to fall in large quantities. Last week my lawn needed to be mowed again (maybe the final time before spring) so I had to remove the leaves, fill my composter with leaves, cut the grass, jump up and down inside my composter, re-fill my composter with grass cuttings and then sneak the remaining bags of garden waste into my general waste.

I always miss the start up and end dates of the collection schedule as they are announced only in one of the local newspapers which I never buy.
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: garden waste pickup Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
GARDEN WASTE
REUSABLE CONTAINER

Do you think that's too subtle? (I wonder if the garden waste collectors can read....) la la la

Scene one.

Two garden waste collectors stand frowning felt pen symbols on a reusable garden waste container.

First collector: [Points at the container] "What's this?"
Second collector: G...a... garbage! Throw it in the truck.

Exeunt.

ejm wrote:
Now where are we going to store the birdseed???

I'm assuming that the new birdseed container should be damp and mouse resistant so paper sacks or cardboard boxes are probably no good so... what about recycled tetrapaks or metal cookie boxes or semi-retired cooking pots?
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: garden waste pickup Reply with quote

David wrote:
First collector: [Points at the container] "What's this?"
Second collector: G...a... garbage! Throw it in the truck.

Aughh!! Do you think they know that much? Maybe I had better put LAWN AND in front of GARDEN. No wait, I can't do that. We're not allowed to put grass clippings in the garden waste for pickup. And LAWN is probably one of the words that is on the collectors' exams.

Second collector: L...A... LAWN! That's why I had to take the exam twice. I didn't know that LAWN and GRASS were the same thing. Nope. Can't take lawn clippings! Leave it here by the house.

David wrote:

I had to remove the leaves, fill my composter with leaves, cut the grass, jump up and down inside my composter, re-fill my composter with grass cuttings and then sneak the remaining bags of garden waste into my general waste.

I put large two bags of leaves in the garage to store there until next summer when I need dry leaves to boost the compost. Another two bags or so worth of leaves are mounded up around our large potted lilac bush to protect it from frost. We plan to rake them in the spring and put them out when they start picking up garden waste again in the spring (unless they decide to go on strike again...).

David wrote:

I'm assuming that the new birdseed container should be damp and mouse resistant so paper sacks or cardboard boxes are probably no good so... what about recycled tetrapaks or metal cookie boxes or semi-retired cooking pots?

Ha! That would be a good idea if it were a small amount of birdseed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: