discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

re: Winter Olympics 2010

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: re: Winter Olympics 2010 Reply with quote

I saw this headline on "USA Today" in my "top news stories" on Google news.
Eye-opener: With Vonn down is interest in Games gone?

This is top news?!

I had to look at the article to find out who or what "Vonn" was. Surely it wasn't "Victorian order of northern nurses"....

It turns out that she is a skier
USA Today wrote:
The woman already proclaimed "the face" of the Vancouver Games and the one labeled "America's best woman skier ever" by Sports Illustrated

Oh dear. I had no idea that there even WAS a face of the Vancouver Games!! But then, I don't really know a whole lot about the Vancouver games except that they have been having ship snow in from the interior of BC because there's no snow on the coast.

Further down in the article, there was this poll:

USA Today wrote:
What’s your level of interest in the Olympics even if Lindsey Vonn doesn’t compete?

[_] Very interested – Games bigger than one person
[_] Limited interest – Love Vonn but will watch others
[_] No interest – It’s Lindsey or nothing for me
[_] The Olympics? - Can't wait for NCAA tournament

But I couldn't fill it out because it didn't have the following option to check

[X] Lindsey Vonn?? Olympics???

So far, the only thing I've really paid attention to about the upcoming Winter Olympics is that the Winter Olympians don't seem to know how to dress properly for sub-zero temperatures. Case in point:
breitbart.tv: UK Olympian suffers major wardrobe malfunction on Bobsled Track

Here's what one of my facebook friend's friend's had to say about the video (please watch the video first before reading the spoiler...):
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm new to the winter Olympics...is that where you're supposed to swipe your credit card to pay for the tickets?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.k.a. The Wealthy European and North American Caucasians Games.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Winter Olympics 2010 Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
breitbart.tv: UK Olympian suffers major wardrobe malfunction on Bobsled Track

Here's what one of my facebook friend's friend's had to say about the video (please watch the video first before reading the spoiler...):
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm new to the winter Olympics...is that where you're supposed to swipe your credit card to pay for the tickets?

I can't stop laughing.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadenfreude.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess that I have been watching some of the winter olympics. I can't help myself. Unless it's hockey. Or curling*. Or ice dancing. Then it's easy to turn off the TV and walk away.

Here in Toronto, we're lucky that we can watch both the Canadian and the American coverage. The American coverage is pre-taped and somewhat UScentric but at least they don't feel compelled to show EVERY curling and hockey match.

Last night (I think it was last night...) on the Canadian channel, it was hockey ad nauseum. On the US channel, it was aerial skiing. Seriously, which one is more interesting?!

And ice dancing?! How on earth is this an olympic sport?

I think all olympic participants who are wearing clothing with loudly coloured checks, flounces, feathers, and/or sparkles should be automatically eliminated from the competition.

* I confess that I did watch curling for about 20 minutes, trying to figure out the rules. Most of the 20 minutes seemed to be spent by the team members standing around consulting with each other about what they were going to do. When they finally started playing, I was very disappointed to see that they don't use real brooms anymore. (Did all the old curling brooms get taken away to be used for Quidditch matches?)

====
Dress Like An Olympian: Norwegian Curling Pants And Other Distractions

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching quite a lot of the Olympics. Given that I work in the same city, it's hard to get away from it. I even watch hockey and can carry on a conversation about the games relatively intelligently, given that the extent of my knowledge is that I know it's a game and I know how to spell it.
ejm wrote:

I was asking that today at work and you'd think I'd committed a crime! The biggest argument for it being a sport is that the skaters have to be very athletic and strong. No one answered me when I suggested that perhaps Ballroom Dancing be a summer Olympic sport. I'm not disputing their strength or their athleticism but really, what exactly makes it a sport?

ejm wrote:
I think all Olympic participants who are wearing clothing with loudly coloured checks, flounces, feathers, and/or sparkles should be automatically eliminated from the competition.
Yes, I concur...unless the Olympics wants to change the motto to Higher, Faster, Stronger, Prettier.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the Winter Olympics motto could be "Look at me everybody. Look at me . Look at me!"
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
It's almost as bad as that other olympic "sport" Flouncing About With A Ribbon On A Stick, or whatever it's called.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: