discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Dan Perjovschi: artist?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Dan Perjovschi: artist? Reply with quote

This past Christmas, I was given a subscription to CanadianArt magazine. And I was excited. There are many thumbnails included in the magazine to advertise various exhibits across the country. But the thumbnail for Dan Perjovschi's show at the ROM in Toronto really gave me pause. No... Made me guffaw. So much that I started coughing.

Scroll down to "Dan Perjovschi" canadianart.ca/art/preview/can/on/ to see an example of one of the pieces in the exhibit. Clever, maybe. But does this make YOU want to race to the ROM to see the rest of his works? stomp

nationalpost.com wrote:
"Everything I've been taught about art I've intentionally forgotten," says Perjovschi

Read more: nationalpost.com: Romanian Graffiti: Dan Perjovschi's scrawls on the ROM's walls

Well, there's a surprise. la la la

canadianart.ca wrote:
Dan Perjovschi
The Bucharest-based artist stormed onto the international art scene in the late 1990s with graffiti-styled line drawings that made critical fodder out of everything from post–Cold War politics to local gossip. This spring, Perjovschi puts Toronto at the centre of his satirical world view in Late News, a new floor-to-ceiling installation that fills the ROM's Institute for Contemporary Culture.

CanadianArt - Preview - Ontario

Why am I suddenly reminded of "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

===========
To be fair, there are much better examples on Perjovschi's website that might have been better choices for the ROM ad.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always insist that "Art is whatever you can get away with".
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of Dan perjovschi's "Late News" exhibit. http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/9414/dan-perjovschi-late-news.html

Brrr.

I'm not moved to rush to the ROM to see this work. Same with the Iain Baxter& one. I'm amazed it's even "art" by David's definition - how do they get away with this.

Some of the other ones looked interesting to me. Benoit Aquin, Carlos and Jason Sanchez, Evan Lee.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:

I'm not moved to rush to the ROM to see this work. Same with the Iain Baxter& one. I'm amazed it's even "art" by David's definition - how do they get away with this.

Some of the other ones looked interesting to me. Benoit Aquin, Carlos and Jason Sanchez, Evan Lee.

The Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts - 2004: Ian Baxter

WHAT??!! Who are the people who are deciding who gets the Governor General's Awards? Once again all I can think of is that there is a desperate need for a child to yell out "Why is he marching in the parade naked??"

My first clue that this guy is laughing all the way to the bank is his stage name: "Iain Baxter&". Oh please.

I quite like the look of Evan Lee and Natalka Husar - they don't seem to be duping people quite so much.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

The Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts - 2004: Ian Baxter

Hmm. I wonder if he wrote that review himself.

"One's first reaction on seeing it is to laugh aloud with delight at seeing so many sizes and colours in such an incongruous setting. The sheer fun and magnitude of it is endearing."

"One's first reaction is wonder: What a clever and enchanting thing to do with all the 'things' we live with."

Gagorama!

(The first time I was asked to write my biography, I was horrified. "You mean people write those glowing comments about themselves?" I still can't manage to say more than the bare facts about myself when I'm asked for a biography.)

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 21 May, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

My first clue that this guy is laughing all the way to the bank is his stage name: "Iain Baxter&". Oh please.

I have a mental image of him not just laughing all the way to the bank but laughing all the way to the bank whilst dancing a jig down the street clutching two huge bags of cash singing "If I were a rich man, Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: