discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

need recipes for large groups
Go to page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Salads Reply with quote

Are not "marshmallow salad" and "macaroni salad" oxymorons???

David (not logged in)
not logged in

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Marshmallow Salad? Someone call the Food Police.
What next, Jellybean Rice? Chocolate chip potatoes? Although can it really be as bad as it sounds? There's something about an appalling food combination that draws me to it in the same way that standing on the banks of a fast-flowing river in flood always gives me the urge to jump in. I know it's a bad idea but...

btw has anyone heard of peanut butter and caviar sandwiches? At first I thought that the person who told me about this was joking but the more I think about it the more I think I'd like to taste it.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AARRRRGGHHHH!!!!Please excuse my whilst I beat myself about the head with a 2 week old bagette.

David (not logged in) wrote:
Is there a way you could make the forum more difficult for me to mess up or do I have to do it the hard way and use my brain? Please don't make me use my brain.

whoo hoo!

editor's note:
David; I know it's wrong to laugh at the misfortunes of others but,

well...

I can't help it. skip skip skip skip skip

(I have put an annoying blinking message beside the name window. It will only appear if you haven't logged in.)
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Peanut Butter Reply with quote

I guess creamed peanuts get a bad rap because they are often blended with huge amounts of sugar. Plain peanuts crushed can be really good in all manner of dishes - satays, for example.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Mexican pie [...] Used commercial salsa (although my son pointed out that it would have been better if I had made the salsa myself.)

The first time I had Mexican pie, it was made by Alistair (the fellow who gave us the recipe). He used commercial salsa AND commercial black bean mix - some sort of powdered "add water and stir" stuff that I gather comes in a foil packet. His pie was brilliant. So, while your son may have a point, the difference is negligible.

CAM wrote:

Some horrid things were there as is usual -- e.g. macaroni salads, marshmallow salads, etc. Why do well meaning people think these latter qualify as "food"?! Or that students will eat them!

Does ANYONE eat marshmallow salad???

Marshmallow salad is only good if it is made with multicoloured miniature marshmallows, grated carrots and green jello. When I say "good", I'm not referring to the taste just the looks. It's just easier to mock. The thing that really gets me is its name. Ambrosia. What could be further from the truth?

And how about that staple of the Southern US thanksgiving table: sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping? boo!

David wrote:
What next, Jellybean Rice?

I have been subjected to jellybean cake - a Christmas cake made with jellybeans instead of dried fruits. Other people eating it raved about how fabulous it was. I could hardly swallow (without gagging) the tiny amount I tried. But then, I loathe jellybeans.

David wrote:

btw has anyone heard of peanut butter and caviar sandwiches?

I haven't heard of that but I can imagine it might be okay. I was quite reluctant to try them but found that I adored peanutbutter, tomato, bacon sandwiches.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Please excuse my whilst I beat myself about the head with a 2 week old bagette.

After you've finished beating yourself on the head, you can make pretty terrific stovetop dressing out of that old baguette by substituting baguette cubes for the cornbread cubes in:

http://etherwork.net/recipes/granschicken.html#stovetop

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday I served Chicken Cacciatore (sp?) from my old standby The Joy of Cooking. Two huge roasting pans full of about 45 chicken thighs. Hardly a morsel left after about 60 or so starving students descended like locusts. The kids really seem to need and appreciate decent meals at this time of year.

Next week I will be out of town for the student dinner, so I suggested to my husband that he put a really really huge roast into a pan, cut up a number of onions, put in many cloves of garlic, pour over a tetra-pack of good beef stock and a couple of bottles of red wine and put in the oven at low heat for several hours. if he has time, cut up some potatoes and carrots and add for the last hour or so. Simple, but it otta do.

You can get some pretty good beef stock in a tetra pack that does not have horrid additives.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: