your age in different bases

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
Locked
Lawless in Lotusland
registered
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 7:50 pm

your age in different bases

Post by Lawless in Lotusland »

The chart attached may be of interest: http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~watrous/age-base.html. I personally like bases 11, 12 or 13, but I think anything but base 11 is unlikely to be too credible!

I was pondering that the chart doesn't calculate ages in bases 8 or 9 for those who want to be a bit older.
“Laughter springs from the lawless part of our nature” -- Agnes Repplier

ejm
registered
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: your age in different bases

Post by ejm »

Credible or not, I'm quite fond of base16 for relating my age. I was particularly happy this year when on our neighbour's birthday, we discovered that we are the same age (except his age was in base10 and mine was in base16) :whee:
Lawless in Lotusland wrote:I was pondering that the chart doesn't calculate ages in bases 8 or 9 for those who want to be a bit older.
It's quite easy to calculate this without a chart. For instance, for someone who is 16 in base10, that is two groups of 8 so in base8, the person is 20, and in base9, it's just short of two groups of 9 so the person is 18 in base9 (at least I think I'm calculating those correctly).

I would think either of these new ages would be very handy for the base10 16 year olds who wanted to buy a bottle of wine for their parents' dinner party.
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?

Barbara
registered
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 5:17 pm

Re: your age in different bases

Post by Barbara »

ejm wrote: It's quite easy to calculate this without a chart. For instance, for someone who is 16 in base10, that is two groups of 8 so in base8, the person is 20, and in base9, it's just short of two groups of 9 so the person is 18 in base9 (at least I think I'm calculating those correctly).
Your method works for 8, but not for 9. To calculate age 16 in base9, divide 16 by 9, giving 1 with 7 remainder, or age 17.
:lalala:

Mats
registered
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:32 am

Hmmm...

Post by Mats »

I'm not sure that I remember the math involved here, but, if getting a calculation right can actually make me younger, heck, I'm going to review those Grade 10 textbooks right now!!!!
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

Lawless in Lotusland
registered
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 7:50 pm

Re: Hmmm...

Post by Lawless in Lotusland »

MEF wrote:I'm not sure that I remember the math involved here, but, if getting a calculation right can actually make me younger, heck, I'm going to review those Grade 10 textbooks right now!!!!
I prefer to use this calculator which goes down to base 2: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calnumba.htm (although I'm not sure I understand the letters that appear in some calculations).
“Laughter springs from the lawless part of our nature” -- Agnes Repplier

Barbara
registered
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 5:17 pm

Re: Hmmm...

Post by Barbara »

Lawless in Lotusland wrote:
I prefer to use this calculator which goes down to base 2: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calnumba.htm (although I'm not sure I understand the letters that appear in some calculations).
The letters are representing digits following 9. You count 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D... until you reach your base. For base 12, you count ...7 8 9 A(10) B(11) and then you reach 10 (12).

So my favourite number "twenty eleven" could be written as 2B. Or not 2B. :lalala:

Locked