Defragmentation?

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
Mats
registered

Defragmentation?

Post by Mats »

Hey, boss, with every post you urge us to defrag. I can see this being important if you are trying to squeeze every drop of performance from your hard drive. With current drives having near infinite capacity, maybe you should have a different "call to action" ? My last defrag told me that I've still got 75% of the disc's capacity to use before things get crowded. I just cannot see defragging as the issue it once was.
Respectfully yours.
MEF
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
ejm
registered

Re: Defragmentation?

Post by ejm »

MEF wrote:My last defrag told me that I've still got 75% of the disc's capacity to use before things get crowded. I just cannot see defragging as the issue it once was.
All I know is that when I defrag regularly, the computer runs more a little more quickly and efficiently. Regularly defragging, clearing the browser cache and emptying the "recycle" bin (as if what's in there gets recycled; wouldn't it be better to call it the "nuke" bin?) works for me...
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?
DataRyder
registered

Post by DataRyder »

When files are created, deleted, or modified they become fragmented. Fragmented simply means the file is not stored in one place in its entirety. Different parts of the file are scattered across the hard disk in noncontiguous pieces. The more fragmented files there are on a drive, the harder the computer has to work to search for all the pieces in different locations.

Defrag reorganizes noncontiguous files into contiguous files and optimizes their placement on the hard drive.

For my part, after a defrag I notice my computer works more smoothly.

Dataryder
At this point all I can tell you is; what we do know is far less than what we don't know.
Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Post by Lawless in Lotusland »

DataRyder wrote:...For my part, after a defrag I notice my computer works more smoothly...
thanks EJM and DataRyder, I defragged and deleted temporary files and cache, and it's made quite a bit of difference. And thanks MEF for calling attention to this.
“Laughter springs from the lawless part of our nature” -- Agnes Repplier
David
registered

Post by David »

Defragmenting used to be a monthly necessity for me with the computers I used in the 1980s and 1990s. The performance improvement was usually huge. In the last five years I have been increasing the intervals between defragmenting in response to less noticeable improvements in performance. It now almost an annual task on our computers and even then the improvements are nothing like they used to be. Part of this might be the huge hard disk space available but I suspect that our the practice of using a separate partition or disk for data storage and leaving the operating system and programs on another is a major factor.