Choosing Books

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
Mats
registered

Choosing Books

Post by Mats »

Often I discover a writer that I like, read all he/she has written, and wish I could find more writers with the same appeal. This http://www.literature-map.com/ is a site which attempts to help. Simply enter the author you admire, and you will find a "map" of writers who share similar readership. Give it a try.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

MrsBrown
registered

Post by MrsBrown »

Well, that was fun! and useful!!! I put in my favourite authors which led to other authors I like which made me think that some of hte authors listed were probably ones I should check out. Oddly, when I clicked on Amy Tan, the closest author to her was Dr. Seuss. hmmmm Is there something I'm missing about Amy Tan? :whee:

ejm
registered

Post by ejm »

MrsBrown wrote:Oddly, when I clicked on Amy Tan, the closest author to her was Dr. Seuss. hmmmm Is there something I'm missing about Amy Tan? :whee:
And Shel Silverstein is really close as well?!

So I googled Amy Tan and it turns out that she has written two children's books!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Tan

I'm usually a big fan of Amy Tan but strangely, I was unable to finish "Saving Fish From Drowning". For me, it just wasn't as compelling as "The JoyLuck Club", "The Hundred Secret Senses" and "The Bonesetter's Daughter".

I like watching the names shift around on the map. (Does anyone else question putting Alice Munro right beside Ann Patchett? Or putting Harper Lee right beside Charles Dickens?)
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Post by Lawless in Lotusland »

I couldn't find any of my favourite authors on this site, which is devoted to fiction. I wonder if anyone has developed a similar site for non-fiction? I wonder if this software is easily available so that people can create their own literature maps!
“Laughter springs from the lawless part of our nature” -- Agnes Repplier