Niger food crisis

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
CAM
registered

Niger food crisis

Post by CAM »

July 31, 2005: Relief organizations are calling for urgent donations to address a food crisis in Niger: reliefweb Africa - Locusts

If you click on "GO" after searching, you will see news from a number of good aid agencies: relief web - Africa - locusts - NGO's.

Here is a story on the ReliefNet news site:
FEWSNET fact sheet on the current situation in Niger In order to avoid mis-information and mis-interpretation of the facts on the ground, FEWS Net has developed an overview of the facts behind the current crisis in Niger. The document highlights that the current food crisis not is a temporary emergency and that while media repeatedly has referred to famine and starvation, the situation is rather characterized by a very severe, but localized, food security crisis in some pastoral and agro-pastoral areas of northern Maradi, Tillabery, Zinder, and Tahoua departments caused by an early end of last year's rains, locust damage to some pasture lands, current high prices of food, and chronic non-food causes of malnutrition. The document can be downloaded from humanitarianinfo.org/westafrica/niger.
----------------
edited by llizard to fix links

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Post by llizard (aka ejm) »

I noticed that the headline is "Locusts - Aug 2004". I gather that this means last year's invasion has caused a massive shortage in the food supply in stock?

Or do locusts come EVERY year to Africa to disseminate the crops and there is a typo on the reliefweb heading?

CAM
registered

Post by CAM »

llizard wrote:I noticed that the headline is "Locusts - Aug 2004". I gather that this means last year's invasion has caused a massive shortage in the food supply in stock?

Or do locusts come EVERY year to Africa to disseminate the crops and there is a typo on the reliefweb heading?
I don't think it's a typo - but a continuation of a crisis. Locusts are a problem this year, too. The specific links show reports dated August 1 2005.

However, I should probably have used the following link instead: reliefweb.int/rw/dbc.nsf/doc104?OpenForm&rc=1&cc=ner

The NGO link is still NGO link at www.reliefweb.int (reliefweb.int/filter/rw/rwb.nsf/doc106?OpenForm&start=1&count=50&so=4&po=0&cc=ner&rc=1&emid=IN-2004-000071-MRT&fo=fol990dFB2060C3F6F6BEA214FAFC1880D7C0C1&th=96)

- I guess the heading has not been changed, or they decided to leave it the same. Niger has not been "on the map" in the same way as other regions have been. ReliefWeb (as a division of OCHA) may not be luxuriously staffed but I find its website to be one of the best sources of international news.

By the way, I recently learned that the entire UN budget was less than that of the New York City Board of Education in 2001. See un.org/geninfo/ir/ch5/ch5.htm

CAM
registered

Post by CAM »

I think the acute Niger food crisis was resolved by a good harvest... see the news from early this year. http://www.alertnet.org/db/crisisprofil ... t_a_glance.
<i>Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconciles everybody.</i> --Samuel Pepys