I can't stand change

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
ejm
registered

I can't stand change

Post by ejm » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:30 pm

I recently upgraded AVG and made the mistake of installing the stupid Yahoo Toolbar. So I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled it without the Yahoo Toolbar addition. Immediately afterwards, the location bar on firefox suddenly stopped working. I would begin to type a URL, expecting it to auto-complete. No dice. Typing in a whole URL and pressing "enter" caused nothing at all to happen.

Thank goodness for google:
a user on bugs.launchpad.net wrote: 1. remove your not-so-well-working addressbar via "view > toolbars > customize", just drag it away.
2. replace it with a proper new one by drag+dropping it from your enabled navigationbar to the same old place.

-excerpt from bugs.launchpad.net/firefox: address bar suddenly not responding to <enter> or the green arrow
This solution does work. BUT I have to do this EVERY time I restart firefox. How annoying is that? :stomp: :stomp:

David
registered

Post by David » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:59 am

I have no idea if this would work but you could try uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling it (after backing up your bookmarks first). I think the latest version is 3.6.

I abandoned AVG late last year in favour of the Microsoft Essentials (free) for protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It has been performing well for 3 months.

ejm
registered

Post by ejm » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 4:07 pm

David wrote:I have no idea if this would work but you could try uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling it (after backing up your bookmarks first). I think the latest version is 3.6.
Brrr. That's just asking for trouble. I think it's easier to recustomize my current version of the firefox 3.0 series (3.0.18)

David
registered

Post by David » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm

Wind the clock back a couple of days with a System Restore?