Grilled Chicken with Ginger and Apricot
Here is our recipe for Grilled Chicken with Ginger and Apricot. The chicken is marinated in crushed preserved apricots, orange juice, onion and ginger. Apricot halves (with cherries in the pit cavities) are grilled as well.
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 can (398ml/14oz) apricot halves in natural juice
- about ½ c orange juice
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pitted fresh sweet cherries
- Drain and reserve the juice from the apricots into a 2 cup measure. Add enough orange juice to make 1½ c. Set aside 12 apricot halves.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the rest of the apricot halves. Add oil, onion, ginger, salt and pepper. Put the chicken in, making sure to coat it completely with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Grill the chicken over hot heat for 25 minutes or so. Turn it 2 or three times, basting with marinade.
- When the chicken is almost done, grill the apricot halves.
- Put the remaining marinade in a small pot. Bring it to a boil. Fill each apricot half with a cherry (good luck getting the cherries to stay...) and serve with the chicken. Pour cooked marinade over chicken. Garnish with extra cherries.
adapted from a recipe in The Book of Grilling and Barbecuing by the Cecilia Norman (Salamander Books Ltd, 1989)
Serving suggestion: Grilled eggplant, mushroom, red and yellow peppers, green beans, rice many different fresh herbs and red wine go well with this dinner. The photo depicts the garnishes for the plates. These kind of garnishes not only look gorgeous but they taste wonderful as well. (Please hit the small photo to see an enlargement.)
printer friendly file
Back to our recipes
ejm (aka llizard)
Toronto Ontario Canada
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License