Black Forest Cake
© llizard aka ejm 2002
Many years ago, I scribbled the following recipe (and subsequently altered it somewhat) from an article about the Schwarzwald in the flight magazine on Air Canada - or was it Canadian Airlines?
1½ c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c white sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp white vinegar
5 Tbsp oil (safflower, sunflower, melted butter)
1 c LUKEWARM water
Syrup Filling Topping:|
2/3 c. canned pitted sour red cherries
2/3 c. cold cherry juice (from the canned cherries)
5 Tbsp Kirsch
2 Tbsp sugar
2 c. whipping cream, chilled
5 Tbsp icing sugar (or a little less)
semi sweet chocolate, shaved
- To Begin: Drain the cherries (save the juice) and soak cherries in 5 Tbsp Kirsch OVERNIGHT.
- Make the Cake (two 8inch round layers): Turn oven to 350F & into a bowl sift the dry ingredients.
- Make 3 holes; pour vanilla, oil, vinegar into the holes. Over that quickly pour LUKEWARM water. Beat well.
- Pour batter into two 8inch UNGREASED round pans OR make a double recipe to bake in two 9inch round UNGREASED pans at 350F for 30 minutes. Let cool well on wire racks before assembling cake.
- Make the Syrup: Drain cherries. SAVE the Kirsch. Set cherries aside for a moment.
- In a small pot, combine 2 Tbsp sugar & 2/3 c. cold cherry juice. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 Tbsp Kirsch. Reserve the rest of the Kirsch for the filling and topping.
- Make the Filling & Topping: Whip 2 c. cold cream in chilled bowl until peaks form.
- Slowly beat in 3 Tbsp Kirsch (from the soaked cherries) and 5 Tbsp icing sugar until blended.
- Assemble the Cake: Prick each cooled cake layer in several places with a fork. Spoon syrup onto cake; let layers rest for 5 minutes to absorb syrup.
- Over the bottom layer, slather ½ inch cream, some cherries, ½ inch cream
- Put the other cake layer on top. Put more cherries and cream all over top and sides. Leave a few cherries to garnish the top.
- Put shaved chocolate on sides. Garnish the top of the cake with the extra cherries and ginger mint if you have it.
Put toothpicks all over, cover with plastic and refrigerate till serving time. (The cream takes on any refrigerator odours)
Tip: If you are making a layered cake, it is easier to remove the cakes from the pans if you line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.