Brownies with Chocolate Icing
© ejmorris 2007, 2008
These are arguably the best brownies ever... one of the keys to their success is the use of room-temperature ingredients. This is pretty much exactly the same as "Brownies Cockaigne" in The Joy of Cooking (1975 edition) by Irma S. Rombauer.
turn oven to 350F
for one BUTTERED 9"x13" rectangular pan
revised June 2008: added how much chocolate to use
- ½ c unsalted butter
- 4 squares (4 oz) unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 c white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c unbleached all-purpose sifted flour
- ½ c Thompson raisins
- Turn oven to 350F. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler set over gently simmering water. When melted, set aside to cool. (Ms. Rombauer says that if the chocolate/butter mixture is not allowed to cool, the brownies will end up "heavy and dry"
- Butter the pan. Sprinkle lightly with flour - knock it back and forth to distribute the flour evenly over the pan. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs (make sure they are room-temperature!) and salt until foamy and light in colour.
- Whisk in sugar (½ cup at a time) and vanilla until the mixture is creamy.
- Ensure that the chocolate/butter mixture is well cooled. Add it to the egg/sugar mixture. With as few strokes as possible, using a wooden spoon or rubber scraper, stir in the chocolate until it is almost fully encorporated. (Ms. Rombauer says that while using a mixer for the previous steps, it is absolutely essential to do this and the following steps by hand.)
- Add the flour and gently fold it in until it is almost uniformly coloured.
- Add the raisins and stir in until the flour is fully mixed into the batter.
- Pour batter into the 9"x13" rectangular BUTTERED cake panand bake at 350F for 25 minutes or til a cake tester comes out cleanly. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Some misguided people sprinkle just baked brownies with icing sugar or scatter chocolate chips on top. We don't. We ALWAYS allow the brownies to cool and then slather them with too much chocolate creamcheese icing. They taste better that way.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
- 1½ c icing sugar
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp sweet butter
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese (with guar gum)
- 3 Tbsp HOT water or coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- plain yoghurt, optional
- Sift icing sugar, cocoa powder and salt together.
- Cream in butter and cream cheese.
- Add water (or coffee) and vanilla. If the icing is too stiff, add a bit of plain yoghurt.
Spread icing on cooled cake.