Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
© ejmorris 2000, 2002, 2004, 2014
adapted from Rhyll's recipe for one 9"x13" square pan or two 8" round pans or one 9" round pan (make half the recipe for an 8" square pan)
Cream Cheese Icing:
(makes enough for top and sides of two 9" round layers)
revised Jan2004 (make a double recipe to have so much icing that it will make you sick)
2 Tbsp sweet butter
½ c. cream cheese (with guar gum)
1/3 c. sour cream
1 c. sifted icing sugar
¼ tsp vanilla
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
¾ c. oil
1 c. flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1½ c. grated carrot (½ lb)
½ c. chopped pecans
¼ c. raisins or currants
- Cake: In a bowl, mix sugar and oil.
- Add eggs one at a time to sugar mixture.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to sugar mixture, beating well.
- Add carrots and nuts.
- Pour evenly into oiled pan(s) and bake at 350F for about 45 minutes until a cake tester poked in the center comes out cleanly.
- Icing: Mix butter, cream cheese and sour cream. Using the back of a wooden spoon, cream in sifted icing sugar to blend well. Add vanilla. Put icing on cooled carrot cake.
Tip: If you are making a layered cake, it is easier to remove the cakes from the pans if you line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.