Aloo Gobi (Cauliflower and Potato) © ejmorris 2004
Ingredients serves 2 hogs
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 dried chillies, whole
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 med Yukon Gold potatoes (unpeeled), sliced thinly
- ½ head cauliflower, cut in largish bite size pieces
- ¼ c water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put oil into a wok and add the chillies. Leave them to fry until they are dark brown (usually the time that it takes to cut up the ginger, onion and garlic). Add the ginger and saute til light gold. Add the turmeric and cumin seeds and stir. Quickly add onions (otherwise the turmeric will burn) and saute til the onions are transluscent.
- Add garlic, sliced potatoes and cauliflower pieces and stir to cover every piece with oil. Continue to cook until eveything takes on a nice golden color.
- Add water, cover the wok and cook for 5 to 10 minutes - til the cauliflower and potatoes are done. Uncover, stir in salt and pepper and let sit over a low heat so any liquid will evaporate.