Grilled Chicken with Ginger and Apricot © llizard aka ejm 2002
4 chicken thighs, skinned
1 398 ml (14 oz) can apricot halves in natural juice
about ½ c orange juice
1 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped finely
salt and pepper, to taste
pitted fresh sweet cherries
- Drain and reserve the juice from the apricots into a 2 cup measure. Add enough orange juice to make 1½ c. Set aside 12 apricot halves.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the rest of the apricot halves. Add oil, onion, ginger, salt and pepper. Put the chicken in, making sure to coat it completely with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Grill the chicken over hot heat for 25 minutes or so. Turn it 2 or three times, basting with marinade.
- When the chicken is almost done, grill the apricot halves.
- Put the remaining marinade in a small pot. Bring it to a boil. Fill each apricot half with a cherry (good luck getting the cherries to stay...) and serve with the chicken. Pour cooked marinade over chicken. Garnish with extra cherries.
adapted from a recipe in The Book of Grilling and Barbecuing by the Cecilia Norman (Salamander Books Ltd, 1989)
Serving suggestion: Grilled eggplant, mushroom, red and yellow peppers, green beans, rice, many different fresh herbs and red wine go well with this dinner.