© llizard aka ejm 2000, 2001, 2002
I always make this sauce to go with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
1½ c water
2 c sugar
1 stick cinnamon
4 c fresh cranberries
- Mix water and sugar in a small saucepan. Add the cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and simmer (bubbling a little) uncovered for about 10 minutes until the cranberries are transluscent. Don't worry if they pop. Do not stir.
- Skim off any foam and pour into clean glass jars. Let cool uncovered. Put lid on and refrigerate to set.
Apparently, if you rinse the jars in cold water first, you can unmould the sauce for serving. I never bother and use attractive jam jars instead. I put the jam jar on a saucer on the dinner table. Serve with roast fowl.
Please note that the measurements are approximate. Taste it to adjust....
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp cranberry cocktail
1/3 c. dried cranberries
1 tsp capers
salt & pepper to taste
- Saute onion in olive oil til caramelized.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking until the cranberry juice and vinegar have evaporated.
- Serve at room temperature in a glass bowl.
Serve with Tourtiere or baked ham.