© TPH & llizard aka ejm 2002
Ingredients 9 x 12 pan Preheat oven to 300ºF
1½ c flour
¾ c white sugar
¾ c sweet butter
¾ tsp salt
lemon butter (aka lemon curd, lemon cheese)
2 lemons, zest and juice
¾ c sugar
2-4 Tbsp butter
- crust: Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl. Add salt. Add flour and blend thoroughly (use your hands).
- Pack into a 9 x 12 pyrex baking dish. (½ recipe: 8 x 8) Press down evenly and smooth top with the back of a spoon. Bake at 300ºF for 30 minutes or until barely tinged with gold. Leave on counter to cool.
- lemon butter: Over a double boiler, cook eggs by beating constantly with whisk until they are thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (This is essential. It takes away that unpleasant proteiny, eggy taste.)
- Add the other ingredients and continue to stir with spatula over double boiler until it is thick.
- When the lemon butter is the desired thickness, take off the heat and leave to cool.
- finishing squares: When both the crust and the lemon butter are at room temperature, spread lemon butter evenly over pastry. Chill well before cutting into squares.