Apricot Linzer Torte
© ejmorris 2001, 2002, 2009
Ingredients (for a 9 inch buttered springform pan)
- ¾ c. unsalted butter
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 c. ground almonds
- 1 Tbsp Kirsch
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 c. good quality apricot preserves
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in egg.
- Gradually add ground almonds and Kirsch.
- Mix flour and cinnamon together and add lemon zest.
- Mix dry ingredients well into butter almond mixture. (You may want to use your hands)
- Spread a little less than 2/3 of dough on bottom and a little up the sides of a buttered 9 inch springform pan. Roll remaining dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper and cut into strips for the lattice work top. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- When the dough is well chilled, slather the bottom layer with apricot preserves. Place the dough strips in a latticework pattern on top of preserves. Use a tiny cookie cutter (I use a little star) to make shapes out of left over dough. Arrange the stars all around the edge of the torte and use more stars to cover up any places that the dough tears.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes, until top is golden brown. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing sides of springform.
Serve in small wedges. Add whipped cream or crème fraiche if you want to be decadent.