Stuffed Manicotti (or Canneloni)
© ejmorris 2000, 2002, 2004
2 parts ricotta
1 part mozzarella, grated
1 part parmesan, grated
4 or 5 clumps parsley, chopped finely
1 bunch fresh marjoram leaves, chopped finely
1 egg per 2 lb cheese
garlic, plenty of it, crushed
dry oregano if no marjoram available
freshly ground pepper
Manicotti or Cannelloni noodles (I use the oven ready kind)
- Combine cheese, herbs, egg, garlic and pepper in a bowl. Use your hands; it's easier.
- Put a layer of tomato sauce in an oblong shallow casserole dish.
- Stuff oven-ready noodles and lay in two lines on top of the layer of sauce.
- Cover noodles with tomato sauce.
- Bake COVERED at 350F for 45 minutes or until tender.
Serve with spinach salad and red wine.
Basic Tomato and Mushroom Sauce
1 onion, chopped
a good shot of mushrooms, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped very finely
1 carrot, chopped very finely
1 red pepper, chopped very finely
2 banana peppers, chopped very finely
3 garlic cloves, chopped very finely
1 large can (28 fl.oz) Plum Tomatoes
2 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped (more or less) or 2 tsp dried
2 Tbsp basil leaves, chopped (more or less) or 2 tsp dried
¼ tsp ground cloves (more or less)
½ c dry red wine
salt and pepper
more olive oil (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté onion and mushrooms til onions are soft and translucent and all the water has gone from mushrooms.
- Add celery, carrot, peppers, garlic and sauté about 5 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, wine and simmer uncovered for about an hour. Take off stove and pour into bowl. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Drizzle olive oil over top to preserve it. (Keeps about week in fridge? I never know because we use it all immediately or freeze it....)
Egg Noodles - Fresh Pasta
1 c semolina flour
½ c unbleached all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
- Mix flours together. Stir eggs in with a fork. Knead with hands to form a ball. Cover tightly with plastic and allow to sit on counter for a couple of hours.
- Put dough through handcrank pasta maker. Leave as sheets for lasagne or manicotti or cut into spaghettini or linguine. Lay loosely on a tray. Sprinkle a little flour over top to keep it from sticking to itself.
- In a large pot, boil well-salted water. Add noodles cooking them until just tender (very short time). Drain and toss in your favourite sauce.