© llizard aka ejm 2000, 2002
Ingredients recipe for one 9 inch pie plate
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c vegetable shortening (use unsalted butter if you want very rich pastry)
ICE-COLD water (anywhere from 2 Tbsp to 6 Tbsp)
1½ c brown sugar
½ tsp salt
2/3 c corn syrup
½ c melted butter
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 to 1½ c pecans
- Pastry: N.B. It's important to handle this pastry as little as possible. Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour and salt until it is pea sized. Add ICE-COLD water a little at a time and mix lightly with your hands until it is pastry consistency. Please note that the amount of water changes drastically, depending on the humidity. (For whatever pastry recipe you use, if it is very humid, reduce the amount of water called for.)
- Handling it as little as possible, roll out the crust on a lightly floured board. Put crust in the bottom of a pie plate. Flute edges. REFRIGERATE AT LEAST ONE HOUR. It's the refrigeration before baking that does the trick. It makes the pastry flakier.
- Filling: In a bowl, beat together sugar, eggs and salt. Add corn syrup, melted butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until frothy.
- Spread pecans over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour filling over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F. We bake ours in our toaster oven - the pecans get a bit toasty that way.
Serve with whipped cream, crème fraiche or high fat yoghurt.