Plum Duff - Just Like Cake on Top © llizard aka ejm 2001, 2002
My dad adores plum duff. So my mother made this pudding often when I was growing up. Each one of us, except for one of my sisters, loved it. Mom made it with stewed plums, cherries, rhubarb, peaches, apricots, mixed fruit.... Every time it was served, my sister said she didn't like pudding; and every time Mom exclaimed incredulously, "But it's just like cake on top!".
Preheat oven to 350ºF
¼ c vegetable oil
2/3 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1 egg, beaten
1¾ c flour
3 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 large can whole pitted plums (or any other fruit)
- Oil a largish ovenproof dish.
- Mix oil and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add milk and egg and stir together
- Mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir together.
- Pour the batter into the oiled casserole.
- Pour the plums and juice overtop of the batter. (Peach halves are also very good.) It also works to put the canned fruit in the bottom of the casserole and pour the batter overtop of the fruit.
- Put in middle of oven and bake at 350ºF for 40-45 minutes til golden and a cake tester comes out clean when poked into the center.
Serve with vanilla ice cream. (Personally, I don't care for ice cream on plum duff, even though my other sisters have told me that the ice cream is "just like cake on top"....)