Scalloped Potatoes © llizard aka ejm 2000,2002
This is inspired by chef Eugene Shewchuk's recipe for Cities' Potato Gratin
4 large baking potatoes (we like "Yukon Gold")
1 c half and half cream
¼ c butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (optional)
250 gm Swiss or Cheddar cheese, grated
- Wash baking potatoes well. Do not peel. Slice thinly. We like to slice by hand because we like the slightly less uniform width of slices. But of course, a machine works too.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, cream, garlic, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Place potatoes and onions in a large bowl; pour boiling cream mixture over them and toss till all coated with cream.
- In an 8 inch square baking dish at least 2 inches deep, arrange the potatoes and onions in neat layers. Pour any remaining cream from the bowl on top. Bake in a 300F oven one hour.
- Spread the grated cheese evenly on top. Continue baking another 20-30 minutes till the crust is golden brown.
Serve with roasted or grilled meat.