Grilled Shrimps or Scallops with Pernod Sauce © ejmorris 2003
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ c white wine
½ tsp Chicken stock powder, or salt
¼ c Pernod
shrimps, shell and tail on, or scallops
freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a frying pan.
- Saute chopped onion til translucent. Add minced garlic and continue to cook over medium heat until almost brown. For this, it is better if the onions and garlic do not get caramelized.
- Add white wine and chicken stock powder (or salt) and reduce to about half. For the reducing, the mixture should be at a gently smiling boil.
- Add 2 Tbsp of the Pernod and reduce.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp of the Pernod and turn heat down to keep the sauce warm.
- Preheat the barbecue to hot. Rinse the shrimps (or scallops) and coat them with olive oil and some black pepper. Grill in a barbecue wok. Remember, they take no time at all to cook!
- As soon as they are done, toss them into the Pernod sauce. Grind more black pepper over top. Garnish with sprigs of lemon thyme or tarragon.
We suspect that if the barbecue is unavailable, the seafood could be cooked directly in the sauce. In fact, it might even be better.... Serve with rice or bread, sugarsnap peas and a crisp white, rosé or sparkling wine.