© ejmorris 2000, 2002, 2006
- 1 head of garlic
- olive oil
- Separate cloves and peel off the outer paperlike skin. Put cloves in a small ovenproof bowl with a little olive oil.
- Bake at 400F for 10 - 15 minutes until the cloves are golden and crisp.
This is excellent on pizza, mashed into potatoes, or with grilled meats.
Oven Dried Tomatoes revised September 2006
- plum tomatoes (aka roma, Italian)
- seasalt, optional
- Wash plum tomatoes and cut into quarters.
- Lay them on a rack on top of a cookie tray. Sprinkle on a little seasalt if you want. Bake at the lowest temperature your oven will go to for 8 - 12 hours until dry and bright red. (Some people use the pilot light of the oven only.)
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a clean glass jar and store in the refrigerator.
This is far superior to the store-bought sun-dried tomatoes that have been sitting on shelves for eons.
Roasted Red Pepper
- Wash the red pepper well. Place it whole into a 400F oven oven for a total of about 20 minutes. Turn it every 5 minutes til all sides are puffy and dark coloured all over. Don't worry if some of it gets black. Remove from oven and cover with a paper towel and let sit for about ten minutes.
- Peel the red pepper. The skin should easily pull away. Cut the pepper in half and discard seeds. Dry off excess liquid with the paper towel.
This is excellent julienned on pizza or puréed in roasted red pepper pate.