I used to detest this vegetable. Eeewww – too slimy! The only way I could stand to eat it was in chicken gumbo soup (served nice and hot – in a dimly lit room – so that I couldn’t see any slime that might be lurking in the bowl. :lalala:)
And then we went to India and one of our friends made okra for us Indian style: dry fried until it is chewy and a little bit crispy. It’s WONDERFUL. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t prepare okra this way!
sorry, no measurements – just wing it
revised 14 October…
- vegetable oil (mustard, safflower, sunflower…)
- whole dried chillies
- ginger, minced
- okra, chopped in thick coins
- garam masala
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a wok.
turmeric, ginger andwhole dried chilies and cook until the chilies are darkish brown. (a minute or two)
- Add ginger and stirfry til golden.
- Add turmeric and stirfry briefly.
- Add chopped okra and stirfry til almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add garam masala (available at Indian grocery stores; you can also make your own) and cook for another three minutes or so.
- Add salt and pepper.
(click on image for larger view)