"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
ejm
registered

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

Post by ejm »

I almost couldn't finish "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's. Very. Bleak. But the story is so compelling that I couldn't set it down.

Would I recommend it to others? I'm not sure. It's not for the faint of heart. Or anyone who plans to read it on the subway and doesn't like the idea of sitting slumped several stops past the destination, blubbering soundlessly at the desperation within.

Next book: a comedy please.

Questions for those who have already read it - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET AND ARE PLANNING TO (major spoiler):
Spoiler (highlight to read):
1.) Were the family that rescued the boy following the man and the boy for a while or had they just discovered them after they set off the flare?
2.) Were these survivors destined to wander from ruin to ruin until they could no longer find any food (IE: there would be no way to make the land arable or for the sun to appear during their lifetimes)?
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?
MrsBrown
registered

Post by MrsBrown »

This review doesn't make me want to run out and borrow this book from the library. I don't have many comedies for suggestions but some excellent reads that aren't dark.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Run by Anne Patchett
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (that one is amusing)
ejm
registered

Post by ejm »

I know what you mean. I'm not sure yet whether I'm glad I persevered. It is well written.

But, but, but, did I really need to be brought down so far? (Not that it is a completely hopeless story.)

Thanks for the recommendations, MrsBrown.
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?