Allowable Words for Wordscraper (and perhaps Scrabble too??)

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
ejm
registered

Allowable Words for Wordscraper (and perhaps Scrabble too??)

Post by ejm »

I recently put down VAUNTAGE while playing wordscraper on facebook (augh!!! I still can't believe I signed up for facebook!). I confess that I'd never heard of it before and had shopped in the wordscraper dictionary for it. It was deemed as "valid" but not many online dictionary sources list it at all. My pocket Oxford does list VAUNT....

Googling produced the following:
Dr.Goodword wrote: Meaning: To brag about or boast of pretentiously; to bluster about, to tout flamboyantly.

Notes: The Oxford English Dictionary now lists such gems as vauntful and vauntage as archaic, apparently, because no one uses them any more. I think we should. The only current derivatives are vaunter and vaunting, as to be annoyed by the vaunting of the vaunting young woman. Wouldn't you much prefer to be annoyed by the vauntage of the vauntful young woman? (These words are driving my spell-checker crazy but I love them.)

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/vaunt
Aha!!! VAUNTAGE is a word. I don't care if it's archaic.

More extremely useful words can be found in the alphadictionary.com goodword dictionary
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?
David
registered

Re: Allowable Words for Wordscraper (and perhaps Scrabble too??)

Post by David »

ejm wrote: More extremely useful words can be found in the alphadictionary.com goodword dictionary
That is an interesting list but needs more. I have sent an email suggesting: buffoon, daft, infernal, oligarch, exsanguinate, moronic, renaissance, rapscallion, vacuous, whoops and arse.
ejm
registered

Re: Allowable Words for Wordscraper (and perhaps Scrabble too??)

Post by ejm »

David wrote:That is an interesting list but needs more. I have sent an email suggesting: buffoon, daft, infernal, oligarch, exsanguinate, moronic, renaissance, rapscallion, vacuous, whoops and arse.
How remiss of me not to have noticed these glaring omissions from the list. I don't know why, but I especially like "vacuous" on your list, David.

I'm inclined to forgive Dr.Goodword simply because he has introduced (to me anyway) the wonderful word "zyzzyva". I'm trying to think how I can use it casually in a sentence... this could be tricky in this cold climate... not too many palm trees in the vicinity.
So... have YOU backed up your files lately? And defragged too!?