The tahini is starting to ___.

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
msh210
registered

The tahini is starting to ___.

Post by msh210 »

Is there a verb for what tahini, or similar things, does when it comes apart, when the oil separates form the rest of it? It's said to ___. I'm thinking of some simple word like "fall" or "go" or "split" -- though I don't think it's any of those.

Also, llizard, your feedback form isn't working. it keeps telling me I have non-ASCII characters in my post, or that it's more than 500 characters, and neither is the case. If you can contact me (gmail.com account msh210), I'd appreciate it much.
David
registered

Post by David »

The closest technical description is "demulsify" but I believe "split" is mainly usually used when referring to food.
msh210
registered

Post by msh210 »

David wrote:"demulsify" but I believe "split" is mainly usually used when referring to food.
Ah, thanks.
ejm
registered

Re: The tahini is starting to ___.

Post by ejm »

I too would use "split" when the oil separates. Sometimes stirring a bit of salt into the tahini can rejoin the solids with the oil. edit: Just stirring will work too. But the addition of the salt seems to help it stay together. Or at least that works with peanut butter.

edit: I'd also say that the tahini is "separating".
msh210 wrote:your feedback form isn't working. it keeps telling me I have non-ASCII characters in my post, or that it's more than 500 characters, and neither is the case. If you can contact me (gmail.com account msh210), I'd appreciate it much.
Thanks for the heads-up, msh. I'll try to fix the form as soon as possible....