Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History?

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
Mats
registered

Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History?

Post by Mats »

Often I find myself chuckling at the way totalitarian regimes try to write "history" to suit the current cause. But every now and then, I find that my own (Canadian) education has left some huge holes in it's exaplanation of world history. In reading a book about Sichuan cookery, I ran into a description of the exploits of Qin ShiHuang. This dude makes Alexander, Ceasar, and Charlemage look like timid guys. About 2000 years ago he made this huge empire we now know as China. He did this in about 10 years! He had the world's most elaborate grave made for himself ( http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb ... lide1.html) It makes the effort of the Egyptian kings look puny. SO, why is this guy not well known??
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Re: Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History?

Post by llizard (aka ejm) »

MEF wrote:SO, why is this guy not well known??
I've certainly heard of that terracotta army but had never paid attention to the name of the emporer. Thanks for the link.

I must echo:

SO, why is this guy not well known??

Maybe it's because he didn't invade Europe?
CAM
registered

Re: Why Is Qin ShiHuang Not Part Of Our History?

Post by CAM »

Thanks MEF. I visited the website. Wow.
David
registered

Post by David »

I think most of the west has almost no knowledge of the history of China. How many Chinese Emporers can you name? It's embarassing isn't it?
Mats
registered

A Bit More Than Just "Chinese History"

Post by Mats »

I agree, David, that it's embarassing how little we know about Chinese history. Still, my point was really that tons of people know about Alexander and have never heard of Persia; the same with Ceasar and the Roman empire, Catherine and Russia, Tutenkhamen and Egypt, etc. Qin Shi Huang should be right up there with those despots.