A really tasty fish - whiting (Merlangius merlangus )

posts from December 2003 - June 2004
administrator
registered

A really tasty fish - whiting (Merlangius merlangus )

Post by administrator »

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Mar/19/2004 13:02:49 [-05 EST]

related page: http://fish-view.imr.no/english/arthtml/hvitting.html

In my fearless effort to taste all the harvest of the oceans, I bought a bag of frozen whiting (about 6 small (25cm) fish ) for about $2.00 CAD, scaled them a bit, removed the central skeleton, and fried the fillets for about 3 minutes - these were really good. I had never had any experience with this fish before. I can imagine these fillets appealing even to those who say "well..I don't really like fish".
administrator
registered

Re: A really tasty fish - whiting (Merlangius merlangus?)

Post by administrator »

Re: A really tasty fish - whiting (Merlangius merlangus?)
originally a starblvd post by msh210, Mar/21/2004 21:48:27 [-05 EST]

I often buy something called whiting fillets, frozen, but don't know whether it's the same fish. The stuff I buy is similar in consistency and look to flounder or sole, but tastier than flounder.
administrator
registered

Old favourite

Post by administrator »

Old favourite
originally a starblvd post by David, Mar/22/2004 10:30:10 [-05 EST]
related page: http://www.marine.ie/industry+services/ ... iology.htm

I've always loved whiting. One of the advantages of living in these isles is that it's impossible to be more than 130km from the coast so fresh fish is always available everywhere.
administrator
registered

Whiting Cooking - method, David

Post by administrator »

Whiting Cooking - method, David
originally a starblvd post by MEF, Mar/22/2004 14:28:27 [-05 EST]

David, how do you prepare your whiting? I scaled mine, pulled out the skeleton and fried the fillets; do you cook them whole?
Last edited by administrator on Mon 18 Oct, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
administrator
registered

Fried whiting

Post by administrator »

Fried whiting
originally a starblvd post by David, Mar/25/2004 07:15:56 [-05 EST]

I cook Whiting by deep frying. After removing the eyes I cook the whole fish. But first I wash them, I dry them in a cloth, brush with beaten egg and roll them in breadcrumbs. Depending on my mood I may or may not eat the skin with the crunchy breadcrumbs attached. I recently ate Whiting in a restaurant that had been coated in batter and then deep fried. I thought it was nicer than in breadcrumbs originally a starblvd post by very much in the style of our takeaway Fish and Chip shops, although that isn't exactly a recommendation.