Not another food appliance! Deni 8100 grill

posts from December 2003 - June 2004
administrator
registered

Not another food appliance! Deni 8100 grill

Post by administrator »

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Apr/13/2004 07:15:56 [-05 EST]

related page: http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/denquicmidsi.html

Very often when people move out of our apartment building they will leave all manner of stuff in the recycling/garbage area. Last week I noticed one of those electric two sided grills there. I had to give it a try. It turned out to be a Deni 8100 (see link).

It is specifically designed to drain the fat from whatever is being grilled (collects in a tray). It is dead simple to use as it has no controls; cooking is only regulated by the time food is left on the grill. I guess it could be compared to a giant waffle iron.

So, how well does it work? It's incredible! A steak can be grilled on both sides in about 5 min.; vegetables (in a bit of EVO)grill in about the same time. All 'wraps' are finished off beautifully. It is superbly suited for an apartment like ours (with no balcony). Yesterday I put frozen Italian sausages in; they took a bit longer but came out nicely browned. Last, but not least, it is really easy to clean.
administrator
registered

Portable grill

Post by administrator »

Portable grill
originally a starblvd post by David, Apr/13/2004 09:47:03 [-05 EST]

That's a good find. I wouldn't dare plug in a discarded electrical item for fear of damaging myself or my property.

The Deni looks like a very handy and healthy way to cook. Was Deni a heavyweight boxer too?
administrator
registered

Electrical Fear

Post by administrator »

Electrical Fear
originally a starblvd post by MEF, Apr/13/2004 11:54:29 [-05 EST]

Well, with an appliance that consists of a pair of heating elements that operate at normal voltage, I don't see THAT much of a risk. A broken connection somewhere and it doesn't heat up; a short somewhere and a fuse is blown in short order. I guess a third fear might be that the appliance is not grounded and may be 'live' and shock you if you ground it with your body. This grill has a non-conductive shell, so, no risk of that. Still, I can see your point David.