A really good movie

posts from 13 October 2004 to 14 March 2011
DataRyder
registered

A really good movie

Post by DataRyder »

Last night we saw a movie called "Little Miss Sunshine." We both thought it delightful and one of the best we've seen in a while. Very funny, very quirky and very cute.

I'm told I have to post this one caveat, although I don't remember it being there...

===>caveat
I'm told that the movie had a little salty language.
<=== end caveat

Link to a review from Rotten Tomatoes
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/little_miss_sunshine/

DataRyder
MrsBrown
registered

re: "Little Miss Sunshine"

Post by MrsBrown »

I've heard very good things about this movie from other sources. I tried to get MrBrown to go but he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title. I'll tell him of what you said. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :jump: :stomp: :jump: :lalala:
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Post by llizard (aka ejm) »

MrsBrown wrote:he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title.
I too was a little reluctant because of the title and one of the official reviews on the poster that said the movie was "heartwarming". (gag. "Heartwarming" movies make me carsick.)

However, one can safely disregard both the title and the fear of a saccharin story. It was a very satisfying movie - one of the best I've seen in a long time. (There IS a little relatively coarse language from two of the characters though...)
I hardly ever use this username any more. I usually use "ejm"
DataRyder
registered

Post by DataRyder »

MrsBrown wrote:[...] I tried to get MrBrown to go but he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title. I'll tell him of what you said.
I know what you mean. I had reservations too, but it turned out to be a really fun movie.

Dataryder

P.S. I forgot to mention that we actually rented the movie.
Goldilocks
registered

Post by Goldilocks »

I saw that movie a few months ago... and had not laughed so hard in a very long time. Everyone in the theatre was histarical, it was quite amusing!
CAM
registered

Re: A really good movie

Post by CAM »

DataRyder wrote:Last night we saw a movie called "Little Miss Sunshine."
===>caveat
I'm told that the movie had a little salty language.
<=== end caveat
We took the recommendations on llizard's forum and rented it. Yes, quite a lot of the language is crude. Definitely not a film for families with young children. This film is also not for those wanting an amusing, light comedy, and it's definitely not a tear-jerker. While there are many hilarious episodes in the film, and the acting is wonderful, the overall tone of the movie is quite dark. In fact, we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom, until some things started happening well into the movie. If you want to keep watching, you really do need to watch to the very end. Do not read the following if you have any intention of watching the movie -- I haven't revealed what actually happens, but... [spoiler]We appreciated the hilarious satire on beauty pageants, and particularly children's beauty pageants.[/spoiler]
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

re: "Little Miss Sunshine."
CAM wrote:we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom
:!: :!: Boredom :!: :!:

I completely understand that the language may be considered as too offensive for many. (I'm still surprised that I seem to be the only person in our house who thought this.) But I can't imagine anyone getting bored!

And yes, it's not exactly an "amusing, light comedy". Nor is it suitable for young children. Excuse me if I gave that impression. I think it is an amusing, dark comedy.

But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I really liked it and I'd even see it again.
DataRyder
registered

Post by DataRyder »

CAM wrote: [...] We took the recommendations on llizard's forum and rented it. Yes, quite a lot of the language is crude. Definitely not a film for families with young children. This film is also not for those wanting an amusing, light comedy, and it's definitely not a tear-jerker. While there are many hilarious episodes in the film, and the acting is wonderful, the overall tone of the movie is quite dark. In fact, we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom, until some things started happening well into the movie. [...]
So! You pretty much hated it.

For sure, not all of us share the same taste in movies. Still... "many hilarious episodes, the acting is wonderful [and] boredom"... all in one movie?

I'm going to go out and rent it again just to see what I was missing.

- DataRyder
CAM
registered

Post by CAM »

DataRyder wrote:So! You pretty much hated it.- DataRyder
No, didn't hate it. Actually liked it okay but wouldn't give it rave reviews except for the little girl's astonishing performance and the fascinating performance of the guy who played the teenaged boy. It goes without saying that Toni Collette was wonderful -- she always is.
David
registered

Post by David »

llizard wrote:
But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I really liked it and I'd even see it again.
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...
MrsBrown
registered

Post by MrsBrown »

Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies? :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

David wrote:
llizard wrote:
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...
Oops... please excuse me for typing in only two languages. I can't believe I made that error! Hin ist hin, but allow me to revise anyway:

But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I molto liked it and I'd even see it again.

etherwork.net discussion guideline
Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

MrsBrown wrote:Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies? :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
You should probably not allow the dog to watch it; 6 years old is too young for this movie. :stomp: Otherwise, it depends entirely on the boy and the boy's parents. There is a lot of "F" language spoken by at least one character. But otherwise, it's a wonderful road movie and family journey. (as in "the family depicted in the movie" not as in "family, suitable for absolutely everyone")

I would put a PG label on the movie.
DataRyder
registered

Post by DataRyder »

MrsBrown wrote:Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. ...
Just this morning Little Miss Sunshine was nominated for a number of Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. ==>CNN<==

A nomination for Best Origninal Screenplay is, by itself, a good reason to see any movie. It's my favorite barometer.

DataRyder
DataRyder
registered

Post by DataRyder »

MrsBrown wrote:Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies...
The MPAA gave Little Miss Sunshine an R rating for language, some sex and drug content.

WikiPedia gives the following explanation:

R - Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.