Buttermilk Biscuits © ejmorris 2003, 2007
Preheat oven to
2¼ c unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ c whole wheat flour
1¾ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp Kosher salt
¼ c safflower oil (or canola, sunflower, olive....)
½ c COLD buttermilk (or 4 tsp instant buttermilk powder and ½ c COLD water)
2 Tbsp plain yoghurt
- Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon just until it all holds together. If the dough seems too dry, add more yoghurt or buttermilk.
- Pat out on a floured board. Pat it out to ½" thick and cut into rounds. Place on a parchment papered cookie sheet.
- Using a dinner fork, pierce through the center of each round two or three times.
- Bake on the middle or one higher shelf of the oven at 500ºF for 5 minutes. Turn the cookie sheet around and bake 5 minutes more.
These are excellent with sausage gravy or fried chicken.
Based on a recipe in SAVEUR Magazine Apr/May 2003