Rice Noodles in Lemongrass Broth with Sesame Crusted Shrimp
© llizard aka ejm 2000,2002
adapted from GUSTO! Magazine Oct '95
(altered by TPH to become R.N.i.L.B.w.S.non-C.S.)
5 oz rice vermicelli noodles (T used 1 lb. noodles)
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 or 5 dried chilies (T added this)
½ c. sliced fresh lemongrass (T used lemon verbena)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
2 or 3 Thai chili peppers, chopped
½ tsp garam masala (T's addition)
1 tsp ground coriander seed (T's addition)
1 tsp sugar (T's addition)
½ c. grated coconut, unsweetened
3 c. chicken broth
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 Tbsp black sesame seeds (T used brown ones)
3 limes, grated zest and juice of
16 extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined - tail on
2 green onions, chopped
½ c. roasted cashews, halved
¼ c. toasted unsweetened coconut, for garnish
*** While making the broth part, T just marinated the shrimp in the ginger, sesame seed, lime zest, lime juice mix and didn't discard the marinade but added it to the skillet and brought it to a boil. (He misread the recipe.) Ultimately we didn't care that we didn't have sesame encrusted shrimps. All the ginger, sesames and lime zest just got mixed into the noodles. Who cared? It tasted fabulous.
- In large bowl of hot water soak noodles about ½ hour,
or until soft. (T used a 16 oz. package of noodles.) Drain
and set aside, covered.
- In a wok, over medium low heat, in half of the oil, sauté dried chilies til blackened. (Yes, really black) Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger, peppers, spices, sugar and untoasted coconut and sauté about 3 minutes more. Add broth, cover and reduce to simmer, about ½ hour. Remove cover; increase heat to medium. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until reduced by one third. Strain and discard lumps; set aside broth.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine grated ginger, sesame seeds and lime zest. Dip shrimp into mixture, covering sparsely and leaving tail clean. ***
- In the wok, heat remaining oil over high heat. When hot, fry shrimp about 1½ minutes on each side. Remove from heat immediately. Add lime juice and remove shrimp; reserve. To skillet, add broth, onions, cashews and noodles. Return to heat and reduce to medium heat. Toss about 3 to 4 minutes or until liquid has almost absorbed.
- Top with reserved shrimp and toasted coconut.