This is inspired by chef Eugene Shewchuk's recipe for Cities' Potato Gratin
- 4 large baking potatoes (we like "Yukon Gold")
- 1 c half-and-half cream (10% butterfat)
- ¼ c butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 250 gm Swiss or Cheddar cheese, grated
- Wash baking potatoes well. Do not peel. Slice thinly. We like to slice by hand because we like the slightly less uniform width of slices. But of course, a machine works too.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, cream, garlic, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Place potatoes and onions in a large bowl; pour boiling cream mixture over them and toss till all coated with cream.
- In an 8 inch square baking dish at least 2 inches deep, arrange the potatoes and onions in neat layers. Pour any remaining cream from the bowl on top. Bake in a 300F oven one hour.
- Spread the grated cheese evenly on top. Continue baking another 20-30 minutes till the crust is golden brown.
Serve with roasted or grilled meat.
printer friendly file
Back to our recipes
ejm (aka llizard)
Toronto Ontario Canada
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License